How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wine for the Weekend

New skates for the munchkins last weekend meant hours of entertainment under the crystal clear blue sky.  We even fired up the grill for a barbeque on Sunday afternoon and everyone gathered around the patio table to load up their dogs!  I hope that you had a wonderful weekend as well.

Two fantastic French wines in this edition of Wine for the Weekend:  The first one I stumbled upon by accident the other day and is certain to become a new favourite around our household.  The second selection re-appeared on store shelves with last weekend's Vintage release and just happens to be my off-dry 'go-to' wine from the Loire valley.      

Enjoy!
Tyler


Red
2009 Château de Gourgazaud, Minervois – Languedoc, France

Here is one of the better deals available right now.  Crafted in the south of France, just inland from the coast of the Mediterranean Sea, this Syrah / Mourvèdre blend shows aromas of crushed sour cherries and subtle hints of cedar wood and dark earth.  The palate is packed with juicy red fruit flavours of raspberry and cranberry while the finish is very smooth and quite dry; an elegant wine with a very humble price tag.
$12.95 (22384) General List (dry)


White
Bougrier, Vouvray – Loire, France

I never tire of this wine and will repeat myself by saying that 'always enjoyable' best describes this Chenin Blanc from the Loire Valley in France. The style is off-dry with melon and citrus notes, a hint of honey, plus just the right amount of acidity to pair with a multitude of foods or simply on its own anytime.  Save yourself the trip back to the store and buy a few bottles.    
$13.95 (106880) LCBO Vintages (off-dry)


As promised last week:  A new piece that will have you laughing while you learn ~> Do take a moment to read 'Will this Wine Improve with Time?'