How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wine for the Weekend

  
Two selections in this edition of Wine for the Weekend and I guarantee that both will make your mouth water!  In fact, I'll be heading out today to pick up a few more of each myself.  

When I discovered this week’s Italian red a few years ago, I drove 150km to buy the last two cases in the province.  I am thrilled to proclaim that the 2009 vintage clearly reflects that same level of quality and is widely available. You shouldn’t have to go very far to grab a bottle. As for this week’s white wine, I may have featured it once before (I’m starting to lose track – lol!) but this zippy little German number is certainly tasty enough to justify repetition.

Enjoy,
Tyler


Red
2009 Zonin, Ripasso – Valpolicella, Italy

This wine dazzled me back in 2007 but then fell from grace with the 2008 vintage.  I am happy to report that the Italian producer is back-on-track with their 2009 vintage. Aromas of red fruit and smoke prelude the juicy core and noticeable sweetness; cherries and raspberries abound with a lovely smooth finish.  A mid-weight unassuming Ripasso that will sip well on its own but will also pair nicely with a tomato based dish. 
$16.45 (170142) Vintages (dry)

White
2010 Loosen Bros. Dr.L Riesling – MoselGermany

A simple yet delicious Riesling which leans heavily toward the sweeter side of the style with notes of green apple, apricot, lemon, and the slightest visible effervescence.  The combination of sweetness and acidity will stand up nicely to a creamy pasta dish or spicy Asian foods.    
$14.95 (599274) Vintages (off dry)



Just in time for Valentine's Day, I've published a new article via Oakville.com called Valentine's Day and Wine, they go Hand-in-Hand.
I’ve also posted another piece on the North of 9 blog called ‘Wine Service and Attention to Detail
Please take a few minutes to read them when you have a chance.

Have a great weekend!