How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Wine for the Weekend


We packed a ton of fun into last weekend which included our 9 year-old winning his championship ball hockey game.  They scored the winning goal with 36 seconds to go! I also managed to finish a new cabinet for the cellar to house the overflow of bottles, and on Sunday we spent the afternoon with good friends and a bottle of ’04 Far Niente Cabernet Sauvignon.

In this edition of wine for the weekend I feature a white Bordeaux blend that Jacquie and I have both fallen for.  Our red selection this week is a beautifully balanced example of the Malbec grape from Argentina.
 
My latest article entitled ‘What does the Vintage Mean to You?’ was published by Oakville.com earlier this week.  I’ve provided a link following the wine selections should you like to read that as well. Thank you in advance.   

Our Wine Spot this time presents you with an option: Wine vs. Coffee when paired with dessert extraordinaire…

Enjoy!


White
2010 Château Lamothe de Haux Blanc – Bordeaux, France 

I’ve enjoyed the red blend from this producer many times before, but this is my first taste of their white effort.  Equal parts Sauvignon Blanc and Sémillon with a touch of Muscadelle make up the blend.  The typically herbal/green character of the Sauvignon is nicely balanced by the other two varieties.  Gooseberry and lime prelude a very clean mineral finish; subdued, in a word, but what this lacks in complexity it gains in finesse; a relaxing beverage and one for the patio this summer.  I’d grab a few bottles!  
$14.95 (909341) Vintages (dry)

Red
2009 Carla Chiaro, Reserve Malbec – Mendoza, Argentina

A good value Argentinean red that will give back much more than you have invested.  Rich ripe black fruit such as blue and blackberry on the nose while the palate is by no means heavy; vibrant plum skin, balanced oak and a touch of spice - delicious.  It’s only $5 more than Fuzion but at least 10 times the wine.  The clean acidity will cut through the weight of heavier food styles and sauces.  
$14.95 (235085) Vintages (dry)



Following the aforementioned bottle of 2004 Far Niente with grilled beef tenderloin medallions and mixed vegetables, my lovely wife presented us with a homemade lemon torte.  Michael, my barista friend and his fiancée Sheri quickly disappeared into the kitchen to prepare a round of iced Gesha coffee to pair with the torte.  I remained at the table silently debating the benefits of dessert wine at a time like this.  As an abusive coffee drinker, I believe that the more sugar you dump in the cup, the better it will taste ~ think sweetened ice tea.  But lemon is also a notoriously difficult pairing for wine, so perhaps the bean is a better choice.   Not completely sold on the idea, I was set on a youthful Sauternes or even an ultra sweet Riesling, but alas, I was outvoted – coffee anyone?  

There is an interesting citrus element to Gesha coffee that highlights the lemon flavours in the dessert.  In fact, the textures of the two tastes mingle effortlessly, and for the record, iced coffee combined with lemon torte is a match made in heaven; über perfection, and my favourite part of the meal.  Yes, it really was that good – even surpassing the mind-bogglingly delicious Cali Cab we enjoyed only moments before.   

Link to Oakville.com and ‘What does the Vintage Mean to you?

~> I’d love to hear your thoughts on a food & wine pairing:  What is your favourite dish?  And which wine highlights the flavours of the food?  Send me a quick note with your thoughts and I’ll publish it in a future edition of Wine for the Weekend.