How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Selections for April 2nd

From the April 2, 2011 LCBO Vintages Release


I must apologize for the delay, my career has interfered with my passion this week, and while both are quite fascinating, it's a bit like oil and water - they don't mix very well. So without further delay: Burgundy and South Africa are the focus at the LCBO for the next two weeks and that opens up a plethora of tasting opportunities.  If I had to choose only one region to supply my passion of tasting fine wine, that region would be Burgundy, France. In this weekend's release, there are some incredible wines to choose from and unlike the previous California gouge that I had to work with (I make it sound like it’s a difficult task…) this release contains many good deals.

My ‘Selections’ this weekend are primarily of the Burgundy grape varieties plus a South African show stopper and a ready-to-drink Port.  I hope you enjoy them too…

Red:

2009 Henry of Pelham, Gamay - Niagara
I’ve always enjoyed this light bodied fruit forward red.  Very similar to the style of France’s Beaujolais (a satellite of Burgundy), a portion of the juice used in the production of this Gamay is obtained by a process known as 'carbonic maceration’. Rather than crush the fruit, the juice is allowed to ferment inside the individual grapes and after a week or so, they literally burst with flavour.  The result is a light, crisp red wine that is dominated by cherry and raspberry. Henry of Pelham’s Gamay also tends to have a very slight effervescence.  Lovely to sip on its own.  LCBO #291112 / $14.95 (D)

2009 Vincent Morin Lacombe, Pinot Noir - Bourgogne
All red wine produced in France’s Côte d’Or (the main body of Burgundy) is Pinot Noir and the term Bourgogne implies the grapes were sourced from anywhere in the region. This wine surprised me and to be very honest, I really didn`t expect much in return. The nose is quite aromatic, showing notes of cherry (typical of Pinot Noir) and some dark plum. The taste is dry with more red fruit and some earthiness. Not bad at all and certainly a good intro to the red wines of what is arguably the greatest wine region in the world. I find that Pinot Noir is more enjoyable when served with food; try this with a pork dish.  LCBO #208496 / $16.95 (XD)

White:

2008 Lammershoek, Roulette Blanc – South Africa
This is the best buy in this weekends release; an absolute pleasure to taste.  I’m assuming the name ‘Roulette’ implies a gamble in terms of grape varieties used in the blend. This year, the combination is Viognier, Chenin Blanc, and Chardonnay.  Aromas of peppermint, vanilla, and honey and literally endless flavour.  Serve this to someone who says they don’t like white wine…  LCBO # 225458 / $16.95 (D)

2009 Inniskillin Winemaker’s Series, Two Vineyards Riesling - Niagara
Rather light bodied for a Riesling and a pleasant change. Notes of lemon and ripe red apple; crisp and minerally but lighter and somewhat smoother than many other Riesling offerings – I like this one.  LCBO # 105387 / $17.95 (D)

Fortified/Dessert:

Fonseca, Bin 27 Reserve Port - Portugal
Here`s a port that is ready to drink.  It provides a hint of what one might expect from a much older bottle of 'Vintage Port`.  Chocolate hits you immediately in terms of both aroma and taste but there is also a slight muskiness that works quite well.  The texture is thick and rich and tastes of over-ripened berries and lingering spice.  Fairly dry in terms of port.  Great price if you`ve never tried this style.  LCBO 156877 / $15.95 (MS)

One for the Cellar:

2009 Roux Pere & Fils, Chassagne-Montrachet - Burgundy
I have been waiting for this wine to reappear in the LCBO; this is Chardonnay at its very best!  And at this price, i`m shocked – it out performs everything else at twice the price.  I`ve enjoyed this label in both the `02 and `05 vintages and cannot recommend it any higher.  Stunningly soft and complex.  With a couple of years in the cellar, the oak, fruit, and acidity will be in perfect harmony.  Enjoy this with the turkey feast on Thanksgiving in 2013.  Wow!  LCBO # 422782 / $38.95 (XD)