How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Selections for September 17, 2011

- from the September 17th LCBO Vintages release

The LCBO has launched a big campaign to sell the container loads of 2008 Bordeaux that they have in stock.  Reading between the lines, I’d think twice before I spent my hard-earned waged on this questionable vintage with the blockbuster 2009s already in the bottles overseas.  Just my opinion though…

Beyond Bordeaux, this weekend’s LCBO Vintages release is chock full of great deals and I’ll start with a really tasty number from Uruguay followed by a Californian Pinot Noir for the reds.  Just to keep things interesting, my white Selections are from Portugal and South Africa and this weekend’s dessert wine is from Spain while the Cellar Selection is a rather pricey but soooo good!    

I hope you enjoy them too!
Tyler

Red

2008 Bodega Filgueira Fuga, Tannat – Uruguay
Located on the eastern coast of South America, Uruguay is abeam the new-world wine making giant of Argentina.  Aromas of lush dark fruit such as plum and blackberry make way for tastes of cherry, currants and leather wrapped up in a medium bodied dry finish.   This is the ‘deal of the weekend’ in my opinion but hey, ‘you go Uruguay and I’ll go mine’ … I couldn’t resist!   LCBO #229161 / $12.95 (XD)

2008 ‘A’ by Acacia, Pinot Noir – California
I made the false assumption that this was a high octane, new-world, jammy wine but the colour, nose, and palate of this Californian Pinot all hint at the taste of Burgundy’s Cote de Nuits.  Expect down-to-earth tones such as mushroom and underbrush plus cinnamon spice and cherry.  This is Pinot Noir done just right!
LCBO #118927 / $16.95 (D)

White

2010 Terra d’Alter, Reserva White – Portugal
A blend of Viognier and the Portugese variety Arinto.  Aromas of grapefruit cirtus with lovely peach hints.  A clean minerality greets you on the palate to combine with pear, red apple, and a very subtle but apparent aftertaste of bananas.    
LCBO #219212 / $13.95 (D)

2010 Spice Route, Sauvignon Blanc – South Africa
Probably the most aromatic wine I have come across in a while.  Pale stray colour in the glass with just the slightest green highlights.  The nose vaguely reminds me of sweet and sour soup at the Chinese buffet while on the palate, zesty passion fruit and some typical herbal notes accent the exotic aromas.  A nicely balanced Sauvignon; try it with an Asian dish.  
LCBO #235895 / $14.95 (D)

Dessert

Torres, Floralis Moscatel Oro – Spain
An intriguing golden tawny colour, this is a sweet Spanish dessert wine that shows aromas of white flowers, honey, and candied apricots. It’s full and intense on the palate with an interesting tea flavour on the finish.  This one will warm you from the inside out as the cold weather approaches. 

I don’t normally comment on the appearance of the bottles but this one is really eye-catching and will make a lovely hostess gift as we near the Thanksgiving holiday.   
LCBO #642173 / $16.95 (S) 500ml

One for the Cellar

2009 Maison Roche de Bellene, Vielles Vignes, Gevery-Chambertin – France
The ‘09 vintage was exceptional in Burgundy’s Cote d’Or and we are just beginning to see these wines in the North American marketplace. When you speak of Gevery-Chambertin and more specifically, the Grand Cru vineyard of Chambertin, you are flirting with some of the greatest and purest expressions of Pinot Noir in the world.  This particular bottling is of the village level and just as the Grand Cru, it must be 100% Pinot Noir.  When you buy Burgundy, it is the reputation of the producer that you seek out, not necessarily the village name on the bottle; in this case, you have both. 
You can try this now with an hour or two of time spent in the decanter or wait a few years to allow the wine to further develop in the bottle.  Drink now until 2019.
LCBO #240424 / $47.95 (XD)