How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Friday, September 2, 2011

Selections for September 3, 2011

- from the September 3rd LCBO Vintages release

There are so many good bottles of wine available in the weekend’s Vintages release that I had trouble selecting only six for my write up.  As always, I’ve tried to choose labels that deviate from the popular trend and run-of-the-mill wines we normally see at social gatherings.  In this edition of the North of 9 ‘Selection’ I have a tasty New Zealand Pinot, a Cab/Shiraz blend from down under plus an unusual white variety from Alsace and one of my favourites from Loire.  I also have a tasty sweet wine from France’s Rhône district and another bottle to add to your cellar collection for enjoyment a few years down the road. 

I hope you enjoy them!
Tyler

Red

2009 Coopers Creek, Pinot Noir – Marlborough, New Zealand
I love the colour… could it be anything other than Pinot Noir?  Aromas of underbrush and cinnamon caught me immediately but the taste was of cherries with a nice hit of raspberry and oak infusion.  Some heat on the finish but it wasn’t overly obvious; quite nice.   LCBO #057802 / $19.95 (D)

2009 Majella, The Musician,Cabernet/Shiraz – Coonawarra, Australia
Mom always makes a cherry pie for the holiday festivities and as I raised this wine to my nose that is exactly what I thought of…. cool eh?   On the palate, the 14.5% alc/vol is well integrated into the medium to full-body showing dark fruit, leather and a good pepper spice Shiraz finish.
LCBO #142018 / $19.95 (XD)

White

2009 Cave d’Obernai, Sylvaner – Alsace, France
A lovely floral nose and a clean, refreshing taste with the sensation of lemon, lime, and hints of spice wrapped up by a crisp acidity that makes me think this Sylvaner would pair well with an Asian dish.    
LCBO #223883 / $13.95 (D)

2008 Les Fosses d’Hareng, Vouvray – Loire, France
Occasionally, Vouvray can stray too far into the off-dry/sweet realm; this one on the other hand is just right.   The nose is clean and only hints at the Chenin Blanc grape’s smooth taste.  On the palate, peaches and pears combine with notes of sour green apple and honey, finishing with a touch of spice.  This is good stuff!  
LCBO #224287 / $17.95 (MD)

Dessert

2009 Domaine des Bernardins, Muscat de Beaumes-de-Venise – Rhône, France
Lol! I’m trying to imagine myself asking for something like this by name in a restaurant… huh? 
Pale tawny-orange colour in the class and incredibly fragrant; the aroma is almost a plastic solvent scent but in a good way with some orange peel and apricot.  There is an initial hit of sweetness and it quickly fades to a fascinating creamy finish that lasts indefinitely.  This is nowhere near as sweet as one would expect, which will make it appealing to a wider audience.   Don’t over chill it though.    
LCBO #129999 / $16.95 (MS) 375ml

One for the Cellar

2006 Château Peyros Vielles Vignes – Madiran, France
The Madiran AOC is located in the southwest of France, close to the Spanish boarder.  Here, the primary grape used in the production of red wine is the Tannat which takes it’s name from the typically aggressive tannins of the resultant wines.  With time, Tannat wine will soften to become wonderfully rich and smooth showing a mix of earth tones and dark fruit.  In fact, I recently opened a bottle from 1998 that was drinking perfectly.

2006 Château Peyros Vielles Vignes, is a blend of 80% Tannat and 20% Cabernet Franc.  I suggest cellaring this bottle for another 4 years and that you decant prior to serving to separate any sediment that may have settled in the bottle. 
LCBO #234997 / $18.95 (XD)