How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Wine for the Weekend

I hope you had a chance to enjoy last week's wine selections. Judging by the feedback I am receiving, the Rioja red was certainly a big hit.  As always, your comments on the wines are greatly appreciated. 
I was wandering through the LCBO earlier this week when I stumbled across a familiar face from Washington that I think you will enjoy.  On the same adventure, I found a fascinating Spanish white for a mere $13!  Both wines are readily available in the general list area at most LCBO stores .      

Cheers,
Tyler

White
2008 Felix Solis, Blume Verdejo – Rueda, Spain

You may recall that I featured a Verdejo wine several months ago. This is the ‘Night Grape’ – workers harvest the Verdejo after sundown. The cooler temperature reduces the fruit’s tendency to oxidize quickly. This example shows good expression of the grape's character, though the aromas of grapefruit and gooseberry combined with this wine's richer body will surprise you.  Initially lemon tart across the palate but it quickly changes to become quite mineral driven with pronounced spice on the finish.  I like it. 
$12.95 (166736) LCBO General List (dry)

Red
2008 Red Diamond, Cabernet Sauvignon – Washington, USA

Discovered this one a few years ago and it has become a real crowd-pleaser at our social gatherings. 
Smooth and easy drinking is the best way to describe this Washington State Cab. At 13.5% it`s fairly round on the palate with some good black fruit and a touch of spice; not terribly complex but then not every wine we drink needs to be a case study. Enjoy this one as a `go-to`red in your cellar.
$14.55 (144022) LCBO General List (dry)



I also review hundreds of bottles via the following two links.  Please take a moment to visit both sites where you'll find more good people and tons of great wine!