How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Wine for the Weekend


Oh the weather outside is frightful… a glass of wine would be delightful… I’ll stop now :) Here are two more bottles of very well priced ‘Wine for the Weekend’.  It's chilly outside so we'll forego the white wine this time for something a bit more soooothing; I'm thinking fortified.  
The first of this week's duo is a bottle that will warm your soul while the second is guaranteed to lift your spirit. You can grab both of these bottles for under $30.  In fact, I believe the red wine below is also $2 off at LCBO this week!   


Enjoy the vino and stay warm!
Cheers - Tyler

Fortified
2005 Graham's Late Bottled Vintage PortPortugal

The name of the wine also explains the process by which it is made. Delaying the bottling of port wine allows the oak barrels to impart a softness to wine, making it approachable much sooner than traditional Vintage Port.  LBV Port is perfect as an after dinner sipper with dessert.  Expect a viscous quality with aromas of figs and stewed black fruit.  It’s rich but not ridiculously sweet with tastes of chocolate and fresh blueberries.  I’ll bet you go back for another bottle.     
$16.95 (191239) LCBO General List (medium-sweet)


Red
2007 Montecillo, Crianza – Rioja, Spain

The term Crianza indicates that the wine has spent a minimum of two years aging and one of those years must have been in oak barrels or vats. This example is deep garnet in the glass showing aromas of black cherry and a faint earthiness. The taste is ‘juicy’ and filled with a combination of raspberry, cherry, and spice with just a touch of mint on the finish. While acidity might be a term that turns some people’s nose up, it is the essential characteristic of wine that creates the clean, fresh taste and texture; the level here is just right.  Try this little Spanish number on its own or with dinner this weekend. $12.95 (144493) LCBO General List (dry)


If you enjoy the reviews on this page, I also review hundreds of bottles via the following two links.  Please take a moment to visit both sites where you'll find more good people and tons of great wine!