How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wine for the Weekend

We’re in the final stretch to the finish line for holiday shopping folks and I’m doing everything in my power to avoid the crowds this week, though it would appear as though anyone not in line at the mall is at the wine shop instead!  Hopefully you already have your beverage list prepared for when family descend upon your doorstep this weekend. If not, I've put together some ideas in an article I call 'These are a few of my favourite things’.

In this edition of 'Wine for the Weekend’, you will find two very affordable labels: one from New Zealand and the other from Italy.  Both wine styles are also ideal for pairing with finger foods and good conversation as Kris Kringle makes his final preparations for the big day!   

Have a safe and joyous holiday,       
Tyler

White
2010 Kim Crawford, Sauvignon Blanc – Marlborough, New Zealand

Everyone likes this wine, and I'll bet that you will too!  Characteristic aromas of gooseberry, passion fruit plus the expected herbal notes highlight this variety’s style.  The fresh, clean minerality will pair perfectly with finger foods throughout the upcoming holiday.  Enjoy!
$16.95 (35386) LCBO Vintages (dry)




Red
2009 Masi, Bonacosta – Valpolicella, Italy

Here’s an enjoyable ‘go-to’ wine.  Valpolicella is a wine region in northern Italy’s province of Verona that is responsible for a wide of wines range from simple everyday quaffers to those which are rather expensive and collectable. Grape varieties are normally traditional and this example includes: corvina, rondinella and molinara.  Bonacosta is very consistent from one vintage to the next; expect smooth tannins with notes of red fruit such as cherry and raspberry. A good level of acidity will pair perfectly with a wide range of food styles.   
$14.95 (285585) LCBO General List (dry)


My latest article 'Wine Paraphernalia' was published this week on WineAlign.com. Please take a moment and visit their site to read the post - Much appreciated!