How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wine for the Weekend


It has been a very busy week both at work with my annual line check (evaluation) and at home with the laptop.  On wine related topics, I have a new article discussing the factors that influence a wine’s aging potential; you should see that published online in the next few days.  Additionally, I am hosting a dinner for the wine blogging community this Saturday which I am sure will provide not only fantastic wine but great conversation as well – I can’t wait!  I’ll try to snap a few pictures and share some thoughts next week. 

This edition of Wine for the Weekend showcases another Gewurztraminer, this time though it is from Alsace, France.  I also have a red that many people feel is the perfect ‘steak wine’.  With the BBQ still on the patio and little or no snow to get in the way, I just might put that theory to the test!  As usual, they are both priced well under the $20 mark.

Enjoy!
Tyler

White
2009 Pierre Sparr, Gewürztraminer – Alsace, France

Less intensity than the Niagara example we featured last week.  Alsace tends to craft a softer and more classical version of Gewurztraminer; this one is off dry but certainly not sweet; lychee with pronounced floral and herb aromas integrate nicely with the roundness of the flavour profile.  This is a wine that you can sip solo or with lunch on the weekend.
$17.00 (373373) LCBO General List (off dry)


Red
2008 K W V Cathedral Cellar, Cabernet Sauvignon – Western Cape, S.Africa

So many people look past the South African section of the wine shop for something more familiar, but this label is a good reason to make an unscheduled stop.  A medium bodied Cab to pair with a hearty winter meal this weekend.  The weight of the food will soften the tannins in the wine.  Expect a mix of dark cherry and blackberry fruit with an earthy complexity and a touch of mint on the finish. 
Decant this wine an hour before the meal and enjoy.
$14.95 (328567) LCBO Vintages (dry)