How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wine for the Weekend


You’d like to believe that with the variety of wine available from such a wide range of regions, that competition would also dictate the need for quality.  But I spent much of yesterday afternoon sampling wines for this edition of Wine for the Weekend and to be very honest, many of them did not make the grade.  After a lovely dinner though, paired with an older bottle of Alsatian Riesling from the cellar, my palate was renewed and my tasting luck changed for the better – I really think that you will enjoy both of these well made selections: 
We start with one of the star white varieties from Ontario and follow with yet another tasty Spanish red, and this time it’s only 8 bucks!

Enjoy the rest of the week and have a wonderful weekend,       
Tyler

White
2008 Fielding Estate, Gewürztraminer – NiagaraOntario

A zesty Gewürz from Niagara's Beamsville Bench displaying floral aromas and hints of passion fruit. The palate shows abundant lime zest and subtle amounts of spice with a curious nutty taste on the finish. Quite good.
$15.95 (146753) LCBO General List (dry)




Red
2010 Castillo de Monséran, Garanache – Carinene, Spain

A nice fruit forward easy drinking casual sipper with aromas of plum and hints of chocolate.  Juicy to taste and refreshingly light with a pronounced blueberry sweetness and the slightest vegetal note that seem to complete the experience nicely.
$7.95 (73395) LCBO General List (dry)