How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wine for the Weekend

  
In addition to my regular Wine for the Weekend selections which represent good quality labels for under $20, I am now including something new that I like to call ‘Wine Spots’.  These are favourites or recommendations from those who follow along and provide feedback with each edition of Wine for the Weekend.  I may or may not have tasted the wine and the cost is not a factor (ie. it could be $10 or it might set you back $40); I’m simply passing on the good news from members of our group who have discovered a treasure of their own.   Incidentally, this week’s Wine Spot is one that I have tried and it is a very smart buy for fans of Sauvignon Blanc.

As for our regular Wine for the Weekend program, I've found  two tasty selections for you:  The first is a action-packed Argentinian red blend while the second is another tasty white from our own backyard here in Ontario.     

Enjoy!


Red
2008 Bodega Calomé, Amayala – Salta, Argentina

This is a blend of Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon, Tannat, and Syrah. Spearmint leaf on the nose followed by cherry and plums.  As it rolls around in your mouth, a sweet smoothness prevailes with a mix of red and black fruit plus and a touch of black pepper on the finish.  Substantial ‘Wow Factor’ for sure.  Try this with a rich beef dish. 
$16.20 (223446) Vintages (dry)





White
2010 Pillitteri Gewurztraminer/Riesling Fusion – Niagara, Ontario

Riesling and Guwurtz are two grape varieties that do extremely well here in Ontario and this 50/50 blend shows tropical fruit aromas and floral notes.  Clean lines and just a hint of sweetness across the palate combines with apricot, peach, and grapefruit zest.  The typical spice associated with Gewurztraminer is subtle at best in this example; a very pleasant wine indeed. 
$12.95 (349126) General List (dry)






Stephen suggests a bottle of 2010 Henry Bourgeois, les Baronnes Sancerre, paired with Clam Chowder – Yum! 

Thanks Stephen!


- If you would like to provide a Wine Spot, simply send me a quick note and I’ll publish your wine and food pairing as above.

Cheers,
Tyler