How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wine for the Weekend

  
This edition of Wine for the Weekend takes us to Italy’s historic Chianti region and the home of the Sangiovese grape – My wife makes a tremendously good tray of lasagna, sprinkled with parmesan cheese and loaded with meat.  Pair it with a good bottle of Chianti and the meal is fantastico!  (I really have no idea if that is a real Italian word...) 

Next we fly to Australia, for a bottle of refreshing Riesling – I think you will enjoy this one too; it is light, crisp, very non-assuming and under $15!

Our ‘Wine Spot’ this week will have you sipping a slightly sweeter version of same grape from right here in our own backyard.  I have not tried this wine, but our ‘spotter’ is a very reliable source for good Ontario wine selections.         

Enjoy!


Red
2010 Frescobaldi, Castiglioni Chianti – Italy

90% Sangiovese / 10% Merlot.  Nose of ripe fruit, slightly stewed: strawberry and cherry. The mouthfeel is soft and rounder than other bottles of Chianti; a hint of cocoa powder too – I like that.  This could be your new go-to red!  Try with full-flavoured meat-sauced dishes or pizza or roast chicken or an aged cheese tray… it’s a very food friendly wine.   
$13.95 (545319) General list (dry)


White
2010 Yalumba ‘Y’ Series Riesling – Austrailia

This is really quite refreshing.  A clean, slightly off dry Aussie Riesling, but not as sweet as many other examples;  delicate on the palate and full of lemon-lime goodness with a touch of white pear.  Just right for sipping as you zone-out after the kids are in bed – we do that at our place. 
$14.95 (212753) General List (off dry)



~> Wine Spot <~

Jason from Vintages Wine Picks & Reviews suggests this bottle of 2010 Hinterbrook Riesling.  He tells me this white from Niagara's newest premium winery is on the sweeter side and recommends a glass as a pre-dinner sipper or perhaps paired with salads and lighter fare. 


Thanks for the Wine Spot Jason!

If you would like to 'spot a wine', simply send me a quick note and I’ll publish your wine and food pairing as above.

Cheers,
Tyler