How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Wine for the Weekend

  
It’s been a very busy week at work.  Mind you, I did manage to enjoy a glass of rosé under the sun at a café overlooking the Vancouver harbour as the float planes skimmed along the water destined for the island.  As for wine related activities, I've just posted a new article on food and wine pairing that you can link to following this post.  It’s quite a lengthy piece and I apologize for that, but the subject is rather involved and certainly worth considering.

This week’s wine selections are a food friendly central Italian red and a lip-smacking, flavour packed Argentinean white for the weekend. 

Sebastian, a North of 9 follower in Quebec provides us with a little French sparkle for this week’s Wine Spot.  Both Jacquie and I will attest to the quality and tradition of this Champagne; I sabred a double magnum (3000ml) of this label for her birthday a few years ago.  Incidentally, this week’s bottle is known as a ‘demi’.

Enjoy!


Red
2009 Antinori, Pèppoli, Chianti Classico – Italy

This Chianti is from the original core of the legendary wine region under the same name.  It is primarily Sangiovese based (with a splash of Merlot and Syrah).  In my opinion, Chianti is best enjoyed with food, and we made quick work of this bottle alongside homemade pizza the other night.  I find it fascinating how the similar flavours of the tomato sauce and the bright acidity of the glass neutralize each other to bring forward other less dominating flavours in both the food and wine.  This example shows notes of cherry and chocolate finishing with some red currant and cranberry.  As a learning experience, save a sip or two of the wine to try again after the meal… note how the wine now has a slight edge without the food… Cool stuff! 
$19.95 (606541) Vintages (dry)

White
2011 Crios, Torrontes – Argentina

Floral and interesting stone fruit aromatics help to define Argentina's Torrontes grape, but really it’s the lightning streak combination of citrus and herbs across the palate that captured my attention; your new summer sipper with salads or on its own in the garden – love it!   
$12.95 (01834) LCBO General List (dry)



   
VEUVE CLICQUOT BRUT CHAMPAGNE
Champagne France | 375 mL bottle
LCBO 389056 | $38.05



Sebastian recommends this Brut (dry) Champagne by Veuve Clicquot for any sort of special evening that you might have planned in the near future.  He recommends that you buy the half bottle (375ml) which is just enough to fill two glasses with bubbly to enjoy it at the beginning of the meal with appetizers. <~ I couldn’t agree more!

Thanks for the Wine Spot Sebastian!

If you would like to contribute a Wine Spot for our group to enjoy, simply send me a quick note with your thoughts on a particular wine and food pairing.  I’ll publish it in a future edition of Wine for the Weekend.

~> Link to the Food/Wine Pairing guide

Cheers,
Tyler