How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Wine for the Weekend

  
I really can’t remember seeing that much chocolate in one sitting; Grandpa & Grandma have spoiled the children once again… I hope you had a lovely Easter long weekend as well. 

In this edition of Wine for the Weekend we recover from ‘the feast’.  I’m thinking crisp wines to pair with lighter fare foods this weekend.  Sparkle comes to mind immediately and I have a lovely Crémant from Burgundy for you.  In keeping with theme, let’s also do a refreshing taste from Austria – Grüner anyone? 

Our Wine Spot this week features a Ripasso, the lighter bodied version of Italy’s powerhouse red – Amarone, and Dan Trcka, a fellow wine personality at Wine Align has kindly provided us with one of his current favourites.       

Enjoy!


White
2010 Bründlmayer Kamptaler, Terrassen Grüner Veltliner – Kamptal, Austria

Nope, I can’t wrap my tongue around the name either… and they wonder why the more exotic wines don’t appeal to the masses??   Grüner Veltliner grapes produce a highly refreshing but spicy taste that is sure to chase away this bout of cool weather here in Ontario.  This particular example is from a top Grüner producer and shows notes of pepper spice and citrus with a very clear mineral character.  The combination remains perfectly balanced through to a slightly chalky finish.  Incidentally, this is one of the few wines that will pair well with the more aggressive tasting foods such as artichokes and asparagus. 
$19.95 (979708) Vintages (dry)

Sparkling
2008 Cave De Lugny, Brut Crémant de Bourgogne – Burgundy, France

We enjoyed this crémant from Burgundy as an aperitif on Easter Sunday.  It shows clean lines with crisp citrus fruits and a subtle yeast component.  The effervescence is refreshing, uplifting and completely unassuming while the finish is clean, dry and slightly toasty – you’ll need a second glassful!  Unfortunately, we only had the one bottle on Sunday, though I’ve stocked the cellar with several more for future reference.    

This Crémant de Bourgogne will be the reception wine for our upcoming pairing dinner on the 20th – yes, I like it that much, though it is getting a bit hard to come by in the stores.  Can I suggest that you grab a few bottles and sip this one outside under the sun all summer long – good stuff!  
$19.95 (183764) Vintages (brut/dry)



 
CORTE MAJOLI RIPASSO VALPOLICELLA 2008 
Veneto, Italy | 750 mL bottle 

Dan recommends this 2008 Ripasso composed of 65% Corvina, 35% Rondinella and 5% Molinara and recalls that this wine represents the essence of the Corvina grape showing ‘light to medium bodied, fruity to integrated and with intense aromas of red currant, rosehip, forest floor - pine needles, clove, liquorice and subtle green pepper and vanilla.  It has a good structure, with nice acidity, refined tannins (decant for 15-30 min) and a clean, long and smooth finish.’  

He suggests that you can drink this now with grilled red meats and baked potatoes or hold it for the next 5-10 years.

Thanks for the Wine Spot Dan!  Visit him at WineAlign.com when you have a moment.

~> We still have a few open seats for Dinner on April 20th at Bistro Seven Seven in Alliston.  Send me a quick email if you’d like to join us.