How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Wine for the Weekend


It has been a tremendously productive week around the house, with Jac transplanting and weeding the gardens while I relive younger (and obviously more fit) years by building our new stone patio.  The goal is to have the patio project complete by Mother’s Day, which (to my surprise) is this coming Sunday.  Fortunately, it rained yesterday which has given me a chance to sit down and taste for this post (I was afraid that Wine for the Weekend might not happen this week).  

On the subject of Mother’s Day, the weather here in Ontario is forecast to be sunny all weekend long, so to celebrate mother dearest, I thought I’d recommend something really interesting.  And for that, we go ‘Down Under’ to Australia for a bottle of Italian spritz??  Also this week, a wine from one of my favourite regions – Loire, and more specifically, the vineyards of Vouvray.

Our Wine Spot this week is from Rachel via Germany, who is vacationing in Europe (slightly jealous, here) where during a visit to the Pfalz region she has discovered a wine called Spätburgunder.  Rachel emailed me to ask if I had ever heard of such a wine.  Of course she was thrilled to hear that what she was drinking was actually a very familiar friend… 


White
2009 Guy Saget, Marie de Beauregard, Vouvray – Loire, France

This off-dry Vouvray is the product of the fussy and somewhat unpredictable Chenin Blanc grape.  2009 was an exceptional vintage in the Loire Valley and the ripeness of the fruit is evident in the weight and notable sweetness of the wine.  But balance is the key, and this Vouvray offers a refreshing streak of acidity that completes the package nicely.   
$17.95 (276691) LCBO Vintages (off dry)

Sparkling
Emeri de Bortoli, ‘Emeri’ Pink Moscato – South Eastern Australia

Yes, Moscato d’Asti style fizz from down under – Oie! with a delicate touch ;)
This just might be the perfect wine for Mother’s Day.  A mix of strawberries and ginger ale on the nose followed by a refreshingly light and uplifting palate of candied cherry and lemon notes. The alcohol is only 8% so you can sip this fizzy rosé all afternoon.       
$14.95 (222190) Vintages (dry)



Rachel sent me this note describing a meal she enjoyed while visiting the historic town of Deidesheim in Germany’s southern Pfalz region.


‘OMG Tyler! I just finished a plate of beef rouladen, which is thinly cut beef wrapped around onion, bacon and pickles and a bunch of other stuff, drizzled with gravy, and served alongside potatoes.  It was so amazing and we both had a glass of Spatburgunder which was really lovely as well.'

Germany’s Spatburgunder is what most of us know as Pinot Noir.  Unfortunately in Ontario, there is a void of good German red wine.  And while the specific wine that Rachel enjoyed is not available here at home, we agreed that I would find a suitable substitute to pair with the dish. 


This reasonably priced and well decorated Pfalz Pinot is available in limited supply at the LCBO:

REICHSRAT VON BUHL PINOT NOIR 2008
Germany | 750 mL bottle
VINTAGES 249649 | $19.95


I think we should all try making Rouladen in the near future.  It sounds delicious Rachel and thank you for the long distance Wine Spot.  Safe travels!

~> I’d love to hear your thoughts on a food & wine pairing:  What is your favourite dish?  And which wine highlights the flavours of the food?  Send me a quick note with your thoughts and I’ll publish it in a future edition of Wine for the Weekend.

Cheers,
Tyler