How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Wine for the Weekend


We had a wonderful Mother’s Day last weekend and a relaxing time with family here at home.  As for the upcoming Victoria Day long weekend, I don’t believe that we have any big plans. To be very honest, a few days spent doing absolutely nothing will be a welcome relief.   

Last week I purchased several bottles to taste over the coming weeks.  In the process I've stumbled upon a really enjoyable Pinot Gris from a familiar (Gewurztraminer) producer in Alsace.   Reaching for something less familiar at the wine shop, I’ve also found you a flavour-packed red blend from South Africa to pair with meat on the grill this weekend.

Our Wine Spot this week highlights a wine that a friend from Windsor refers to as his ‘social juice’.  It think you will agree with his choice…

Red
2011 Boschendal, The Pavillion, Shiraz Cabernet – Western Cape, South Africa

A smoky nose, with noticeable vanilla and stewed black fruit that precedes a combination of sweetness and spice (the two sensations compliment each other perfectly).  In a word, this is delicious; and for the price, an incomparable bargain.  A touch of heat on the finish reinforces the 14% alc, but otherwise very enjoyable. Try it alongside barbequed ribs, burgers or even spice-rubbed chicken.  
$11.95 (222299) General List (very dry)

White
2009 Pierre Sparr, Pinot Gris Reserve – Alsace, France

One of the better Pinot Gris products that I have tasted recently. Aromas of very ripe stone fruit such as apricot and peach followed by a rather full mouth-feel due to the lower than expected minerality.  The finish brings to mind interesting tastes of orange creamsicle – remember buying those from the Dickey Dee guy?         
$14.95 (983395) Vintages (dry)



James, a friend of North of 9 from Windsor, Ontario has sent us a very agreeable label for this week’s Wine Spot.  He calls this one his ‘Social Juice’ and recommends that you sip this crisp white ‘anytime the mood grabs you’ – I like the sound of that!  He also suggests that quick and easy finger foods such as cheese and crackers or warm appetizers pair perfectly with this hot little Chilean lip-smacker!  I’ll throw in the suggestion of goat cheese in phyllo pastry myself – yum! 


Chile | 750 mL bottle
LCBO 159954 | $10.45


Thanks for the Wine Spot James – Cheers!


~> I’d love to hear your thoughts on a food & wine pairing:  What is your favourite dish?  And which wine highlights the flavours of the food?  Send me a quick note with your thoughts and I’ll publish it in a future edition of Wine for the Weekend.

Have a wonderful Victoria Day!
-Tyler