How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Wine for the Weekend


I cannot even begin to tell you what a thrill it was to walk amongst the vines, stopping to taste both the fruit and wine of each village as I made my way through beautiful Burgundy last week while in France.  I’ll spend the next couple of weeks writing about the various highlights of the trip and I’d like to thank everyone who sent messages and comments throughout the week. The WiFi as expected was a touch uncooperative when sending images home, but I did receive all your emails - Cheers for that!

In keeping with the Burgundy theme, this edition of Wine for the Weekend features a bottle of Pinot Noir from the northern half of the region.  This wine demonstrates the overall style of Burgundy’s Côte d’Or and we are very fortunate to have both the label and producer available here at the LCBO.   

While I prefer my white wine with a touch of delicacy, Jacquie, my lovely wife likes hers with a rip-roaring streak of flavour.  Actually, there are many people that enjoy their wine with a little spine.  Jac found this Chilean Sauvignon in the latest Vintages release catalogue and asked [with great persuasion] that I include it for you to try as well.  So here you go… pucker-up baby, this is a lively one.       

As promised George Ozegovic shares part II of his WineSpot with us.  This time George teases our taste buds with a hearty autumn dish and red wine to compliment…

Thanks for reading and enjoy the wine!


White
2011 Leyda Single Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc – Leyda Valley Chile

A citrus infusion of flavour intensity.  Serious verve and good kick for the price.  Expect grapefruit, lemon grass, lime, and a pepper spice to finish it off.  I’ve had comparable Sauvignon from New Zealand for twice the price. This style will stand up to many stronger flavoured dishes.  Try it with Asian or curried foods.   $16.95 (#99309) Vintages – dry


Red
2010 Roux Père et Fils, Côte de Nuits Villages – Burgundy, France

This will more than suffice as a temping introduction to the fascination behind Burgundy's Pinot Noir.  Transparent red hints at a light to medium body while subtle aromas of butterscotch indicate the use of toasted oak. Red fruit and hints of cinnimon constitute the primary bouquet of this village level wine with juicy sensations of raspberry and cherry leading to a dry and slightly chalky finish. Enjoy with pork and baked ham.  $18.95 (#279075) Vintages – dry



George Ozegovic shares his thoughts on pairing Baco Noir with Braised Lamb Shanks:

Though I did protest (ok, more of a token act on my part), the chefs at the Marquee Steakhouse in Milton would not allow me to leave without tasting an autumn-approved, hearty dish.  They offered a braised Ontario lamb shank with mascarpone polenta and vegetables. Deep, rich and mouth coating goodness – the lamb deserved a local partner found in Henry of Pelham’s Baco Noir Reserve.  The spice/smokey notes and crisp acidity of the wine are necessary to balance the fattiness of the meat and creaminess of the polenta.

One of Ontario’s most consistent grapes, this Baco Noir offering is full bodied, deep purple in colour, black cherry and spice smoke. The ripe jam is backed by crisp acidity and a lengthy finish. Definitely a meat-lovers wine.

Braised lamb shanks at home (Chef Serdjo Lakich)
· Four lamb shanks
· 2 cups of mirepoix (diced carrots, celery, onions)
· A few sprigs of thyme, rosemary, parsley
· Salt and pepper
· Bottle of red wine (full bodied)
· Tomato sauce
· 4 garlic cloves
· Olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Dice the carrots, celery and onions
Remove the silver skin from the lamb shanks with a sharp pairing knife; season with salt and pepper
In a braising pan, add olive oil and sear the lamb shanks until browned then set aside. In the same pan, add the mirepoix and sauté until softened; add the garlic, thyme, rosemary and parsley
Return the lamb shanks to the pan and completely cover with 1/3 red wine, 1/3 water, 1/3 tomato sauce; bring the cooking liquid to a boil (important); cover the pan with tin foil and put in preheated oven
Cook for 2.5 hours

Serve with polenta or mashed potatoes, sautéed or grilled vegetables

Thanks again George!

You can follow George on Twitter @CurdsandCliche for more of his thoughts on food, wine, and other topics at random. 



~> I’d love to hear your thoughts on a food & wine pairing:  What is your favourite dish?  And which wine highlights the flavours of the food?  Send me a quick note with your thoughts and I’ll publish it in a future edition of Wine for the Weekend.