How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Wine for the Weekend


Leaf detail and yard cleanup were the priority last weekend.  And while I did manage to address that task to completion, I believe that far more time was spent writing about my trek through the Côte d'Or earlier this month.   If you've been following my blog, thank you for reading.  If you would like to join the adventure, I've posted three separate articles detailing the trip.  I'll link you up after this week's wine selections.

Having come close to Pinot Noir saturation over the last two weeks, I found myself in search of a contrasting taste. A trip to the Italian section of our cellar produced a bottle of Barbera that quickly solved that dilemma.   Barbera's style hints at Pinot in terms if body and the obvious red fruit, but the real difference lies in the streak of acidity that I find pairs perfectly with pizza, pasta, burgers, or most other flavourful profiles - but the best part is that the lable I've found will only set you back 17 dollars.

This week's white selection sneaks above the $20 limit, sorry about that, but  trust me when I say this late harvest German Riesling is well worth the little bit extra.

In this week's WineSpot, Annette from Windsor shares her thoughts with us on a few go-to wines that she keeps handy for impromptu gatherings.  I think you will enjoy the convenience of her setup.

Enjoy the wines...

White
2009 Bollig Lehnert, Riesling Spätlese – Mosel, Germany

The pronounced late harvest aromas of apricot and honey jump out of the glass while a fine balance of sweetness and refreshing acidity hold the package together nicely.  Lime citrus lingers on the finish.  A very good bottle of Riesling to enjoy alongside Chicken Kiev.  Vintages #284422 750mL $21.95 off-dry



Red
2009 Climent Cossetti, Barbera d'Asti – Piedmont, Italy

This wine knocked my socks off.   Like Chianti or Crianza Rioja, Barbera is light bodied with a bright, juicy core of dark fruits that will pair well with a wide range of food styles. This particular example also has a slight roundness on the palate, likely due to very ripe fruit at the time of harvest which takes it one-step beyond the typicity of the style.  Serve slightly chilled alongside dried meats, olives, and herbs breads. Vintages #106278  750mL $16.95 dry


Annette tells me that she does a fair amount of entertaining. Many of the guests who stop by her condo do so with little notice, which she really enjoys.  The key, she recalls, is that when impromptu guests arrive, you need to be ready with a stash of go-to wines and ready-to-serve appetizers.  "It's fun when people pop by for a visit and I like to make it look like I was expecting them." she jokes.

Annette's essential bottles for short notice gatherings

  • Sparkling wine - always chilled and ready-to-serve while you whip together a few nibblies and listen to the latest news over the countertop.  You can keep the cost down by serving Cremant, Prosecco, or Cava instead of expensive Champagne.
  • A crisp white and a fruity red - both pair well with so many different food styles.  Keep them both chilled.  The white is ready-to-serve and the red will warm slightly in the glass as you chat.  Think Pinot Grigio and Chianti classico or even Beaujolais.
  • A big red - sometimes people need a shoulder to lean on, and a soothing full-bodied red served at room temperature can taste so good at the wrong time.  Try California Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, or an Australian Shiraz

I love this thought process Annette - thank you for sharing your ideas with us!

~> I’d like to hear your thoughts on a food & wine pairing:  What is your favourite dish?  And which wine highlights the flavours of the food?  Send me a quick note with your thoughts and I’ll publish it in a future edition of Wine for the Weekend.


Link to: Exploring Burgundy's Côte d'Or


As always, thank you for reading and have a wonderful weekend.

Cheers,
T