How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wine for the Weekend

I'd like to modify the current wine email program that I have in place by dispensing with the biweekly Vintages release recommendations.  As much as I enjoy tasting and selecting those wines for you, there are far too many individuals writing about the same topic online.  By focusing on the ‘latest release’, I also feel that we are losing sight of all the good deals to be found on the LCBO’s ‘general list’. 

I call this: ‘Wine for the Weekend’ and rather than have you rush out Saturday morning to grab the bottles before the masses beat you to it, these labels are readily available and typically less expensive too.  Every Wednesday I'll send you two really tasty choices from either the Vintages program, past or present, or an item off the general list which can be found in the main body of any LCBO store.  

– Enjoy!
Tyler


2009 Farnese Sangiovese – Italy

Someone once told me that when the fancy $$$ bottles are empty at ritzy Rosedale functions, they refill them with Farnese and no one can tell the difference... fact or fiction, you decide but this is a very good bottle of wine for the money and simply put, it’s an unbeatable deal. Expect a smooth, medium bodied feel with lots of red fruit flavours.
$7.40 (512327) LCBO General List (dry red)



2010 Hardys Stamp Series Riesling Gewurztraminer – Australia

This is my lovely wife's favourite wine and I'll level with you - I like it too. In fact, this one puts many $15 bottles I've tasted to shame. Great citrus notes and a nice balance of sweetness and acidity; the Gewürztraminer adds an element of spice to the off-dry Riesling in the blend. 
$8.95 (448548) LCBO General List (off-dry white)

Cheers!