How I make my selections...

Rarely will I publish a review of a wine that I did not enjoy; my taste is purely individual, as is your own. If I write about a particular wine, I do so because I also want you to try it.

The new website is now available!

The new website is now available!
Click the image to link to TylerPhilp.com

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Wine for the Weekend


My apologies for not publishing a Wine for the Weekend post last Thursday.  I've been busily writing a new piece on Super Tuscans for Oakville's online newspaper.  That article is now available at Oakville.com.  Additionly, my 5-part series on Discovering Burgundy is now finished. You can read about 'the big adventure' by selecting the links following this week’s selections.  

In this edition of Wine for the Weekend I feature a white blend from Ontario that has always struck me as more of a patio sipper / book club style of wine.  With the 2010 vintage however, that same label now demonstrates the character that many of us look for in a fruit-forward white wine to pair with dinner.  My red selection this week is a showstopper Grenache based blend from the Rhône valley of France.  This wine could easily sell for $35-40, yet amazingly it retails for only $17 - I'm sold!

Thanks for reading and enjoy the wines...


White
2010 Flat Rock Cellars, Twisted - Ontario, Canada

In previous vintages, I have found the Flat Rock Twisted to be a rip-roaring, citrus zest infused fun-to-drink patio wine. This latest edition, while no less interesting, is somewhat more restrained and perhaps fuller on the palate, which I enjoy even more.  Loaded with flavour, the 2010 Twisted shows pronounced melon and stone fruit with the lemon/lime infusion still very much alive, if only slightly subdued.  Serve it well chilled.  Vintages #01578 750mL $16.95 (off-dry white)

Red
2010 Château de Galifay, Cairanne, Côtes de Rhône Villages - France

Located just over an hour from the Mediterranean Sea, Cairanne is the western-most village in the Côtes du Rhône Villages appellation. This outstanding Grenache based blend shows aromas of strawberry and sweet spices.  Medium bodied and uplifting with hints minerality followed by a core of plum sweetness that lasts through to the finish.  Sip it solo or with tapas on the side.  Vintages #290080 750mL $17.00 (dry red)


The week of October 9th to the 15th was spent hiking through the vineyards of Burgundy’s historic Côte d’Or region. I covered 35km in total tasting (and eating) my way through each village.  If you would like to read more about the trip or just enjoy the photographs, simply select a chapter link below; there are five parts in total.

Cheers,
Tyler


Exploring Burgundy


Dessert in Nuits-Saint-Georges